opm-flow
The Open Porous Media (OPM) initiative encourages open innovation and reproducible research for modeling and simulation of porous media processes.


Focus on Open Porous Media (OPM)

20.10.2017

The National IOR Centre of Norway and IRIS hosted an OPM introduction course and a two-day OPM workshop at IRIS offices in Bergen.

Day one: On Tuesday October 17th the IOR Centre of Norway did an OPM introduction course for invited members. The day started with a brief introduction to the Open Porous Media (OPM) initiative, given by Robert Klöfkorn (IRIS).  The course continued with installation of OPM-Flow, the OPM Black-oil simulator, on laptops of all participants. And finally, field test cases were run, and the results were visualized with the free 3D visualization tool RESINSIGHT (Fast and free 3D visualization of simulation results in Eclipse binary format.) Read more here.

img 20171017 104639060
OPM Course for members of The National IOR Centre of Norway at IRIS offices in Bergen.

Two-day OPM workshop
The following days, 18th-19th of October, Tor Harald Sandve from IRIS conducted a two-day OPM workshop, see the detailed program here. The workshop was open to all, and the first day attracted almost 40 attendees from various companies/research environments all interested in modeling and simulating porous media processes.

Alf Birger Rustad from Statoil gave an opening speech emphasizing how far we have come during the last year, and that the main reason for this success is that we work together. According to Rustad, 90 percent of functionalities are implemented in OPM-Flow, and what’s within the remaining 10 percent might be different for different users. This is the key value of open source: You have the ability to implement the functionalities you need to meet your needs. 

CLIMIT-DEMO project
The final day, Thursday 19th, focused on the development of simulation tools for CO2 storage. CO2-EOR. IRIS, Sintef, Uni-Research-CIPR and Statoil were awarded a new CLIMIT-DEMO project in August this year to continue developing these simulation tools. The project leader, Tor Harald Sandve from IRIS opened the day by presenting the current status of CO2-EOR simulation performance in OPM-Flow.

The audience was impressed with the solvent flow in a North sea field, that was simulated 5 times faster in OPM-Flow than in Eclipse. The day continued with talks by Sara Gasda from Uni-Research-CIPR and Alf-Arne Grimstad from Sintef, group work and plenum discussions, and finally a talk about “How to make your own simulator in OPM Ewoms” by Andreas Lauser from Poware software solutions. The new CLIMIT-Demo projects Reference Committee consisting of Roman Berenblyum from IRIS, Alf-Arne Grimstad from SINTEF, Frank Wilschut from TNO and Pål Helge Nøkleby from Aker Solutions was also present at the meeting, and they all had some valuable inputs.

siamnewsletter3
Project leader Tor Harald Sandve (IRIS), organized the two-day OPM work-shop in Bergen.

Research Director at IRIS, Randi Valestrand said: "The development of OPM is an important and large strategic effort at IRIS, and we have worked together with Sintef and Statoil for several years to come this far. Now we see that more and more companies and researchers appreciate our efforts and that the consortium is growing. The main reason is of course that we have proven its value, both as a simulation tool for the end-users and as a unique platform for research, education and knowledge sharing.  I also believe that the interest has increased due to the current strong focus of digitalization in the industry. The industry and the government realize that if we are to succeed in digitalization, we need to work together, share and be open. This is exactly what the Open Porous Media initiative stands for."



 
Meet Nazanin
Read more

Skal utføre sosiokulturell stedsanalyse i Hillevåg
Read more

IRIS attended the November Conference in Rio de Janeiro
Read more

Bedre balanse mellom tilbud og etterspørsel etter kompetanse i regionale arbeidsmarkeder
Read more

Et nytt kraftsentrum for forskning
Read more

SR-Banks innovasjonspris til Arild Johannessen
Read more

Focus on Open Porous Media (OPM)
Read more

No Blue, no Green - seminar with Dr. Sylvia Earle, the winner of the Rachel Carson Prize.
Read more

Drilling Data Hub Demonstration
Read more

DRILLWELL TECHNICAL SEMINAR 2017
Read more

Go to news archive
International Research Institute of Stavanger
Mailing address:
Visiting address:
P.O. Box 8046, N-4068 Stavanger, Norway
Prof. Olav Hanssensvei 15, 4021 Stavanger


Phone:
Fax:

+47 51 87 50 00
+47 51 87 52 00

General email address: firmapost@iris.no
International Research Institute of Stavanger
Mailing address:
Visiting address:
P.O. Box 8046, N-4068 Stavanger, Norway
Prof. Olav Hanssensvei 15, 4021 Stavanger


Phone:
Fax:

+47 51 87 50 00
+47 51 87 52 00

General email address: firmapost@iris.no