GeoWell – an EU project on geothermal well technology
29.09.2015A consortium consisting of - ISOR, IRIS, GFZ, TNO, BRGM, Statoil, HS Orka and Acquit Business Development, has been awarded a HORIZON 2020 project, which is the EU framework programme for research and innovation.
- Getting awarded this project is a milestone for IRIS Energy, both regarding European funding and being part of such a strong group within geothermal energy research. We hope that this marks the beginning of a significant project portfolio on geothermal energy, says Kristin Flornes.
The project name is GeoWell and the main objective is to develop and test reliable, cost effective and environmentally safe completion and monitoring technologies for geothermal wells. Focus will be on high-temperature geothermal well technologies, as this is needed to accelerate the development of geothermal resources for power generation both in Europe and worldwide. The particular topics that will be addressed in the project are:
- Development of corrosion resistant materials
- Development of casing materials and couplings for very high temperatures
- Establish a database for material selection with respect to corrosion resistance
- Develop cementing procedures that minimizes curing time
- Develop and test fiber optic solutions for monitoring well cement and casing during production
- Establish risk assessment methods for well integrity management purposes.
IRIS will be in charge of the risk assessment part of the project and will transfer methods for well integrity risk assessment for oil & gas wells to geothermal wells. The project will start in the beginning of 2016 and last for three years.