Mining projects currently underway at IRIS include:
- The ABYSSLINE project (2013-2018) – Gathering baseline ecosystem process information at the abyssal seafloor of the manganese nodule province in the Clarion Clipperton Zone of the eastern Pacific Ocean (Dr. Andrew K. Sweetman, Principal Investigator)
- EC-MIDAS project (2013-2016) – Managing Impacts of Deep-sea Resource Exploitation (Dr. Andrew K. Sweetman, Principal Investigator)
- How mining disturbance modifies abyssal biodiversity and ecosystem processes over decadal scales, and how burial by tailings/ resuspended sediments influence ecosystem functioning at the deep seafloor.
- How methane hydrate extraction on continental margins influence water column oxygenation and acidification.
- NFR IMPTAIL (2010-2013) Improved Submarine Tailings Placements in Norwegian fjords (Dr. Astri Kvassnes , Principal Investigator)
- Assessing the full impacts of mine tailings disposal on deep-sea fjord ecosystems and how impacts can be reduced in future
- Improved detection of mine tailings migration at the seafloor.